Monday, March 8, 2010

One Week Down

Written 2100 3/8/2010

Today was actually pretty boring day, if you can call chillin in Shanghai boring. Woke up, went to Mandarin class, 3 and half hours is too much. Luckily work starts tomorrow so I won’t be going back for awhile. I did learn that having like 10 or so French kids suddenly start mimicking your laughter is quite disconcerting, though quite funny.

After class the German kids and I went to some of the local food shops which were being swarmed by a local high school group. It was actually kind of cool, I really felt like I was in China, eating what the locals ate, and I gotta tell ya it was pretty good. Had like a beef wrap kind of thing, and then a…. well it was like a crunch pancake with egg some sort of meat veggies and some bbq sauce. All in all super tasty.

From then on most of the afternoon was spent waiting for the internet man to show up. But finally after several hours he came and set up the internet which I’m now using!! Though it’s pretty slow, it’s far better than nothing.

Spent another hour or so with Tokkie (the MBA liaison) getting some minor things settled such as money on my campus card. I then met up with Filiz to make a movie for her boyfriend, just saying hello and walking around campus in the rain. Did I mention it rains here a lot? Like every day.

Had dinner with some of the Frenchies! I like hanging out with them, they’re fun. Some reason though I can’t shake the saddest I feel when I’m around them that in just a few months it’ll be over and might not see them again. For some reason I think that colors the relationships here, the leaving.

For some this might be jumping into exciting new relationships *wink wink*

But for me it’s the opposite, in America I would feel like I have all the time in the world to get to know someone so I should start dating them ASAP to make sure no one else gets to them first (man that sounds barbaric when you actually write that down), but here I’m much more cautious. I think I’m actually afraid that if I become intimate with one of the girls here I will actually love them, then what?

*shrugs* O well, just let it happen I guess.

Till tomorrow, au revoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment