Sunday, March 14, 2010

First Day of Ethics Class and Slippery Floors

Let’s get this started say around … 2113, 10-14-10

Woke up in the fog this morning, like not mentally, but literally in the midst of some serious fog, my room is so far up that visibility was pretty close to 0.

Today was also my first Ethics class, which for some reason they decided should overlap with our Marketing class, so what you have to do is skip one marketing class and one ethics class. I thought the class was actually pretty decent. I’m a little worried that because the class is half Chinese and half Westerners, that we’ll tend to start talking about “eastern” and “western” points of views, which has already happened a couple of times in class. While this is of course a practical summation of view points for a class that only has about 20 students I think we should instead be able to focus on an individual’s views. If we tend to lump all the westerns into the “Western Thought” category and vice versa with the eastern I think it’ll really dampen our discussions. But like I said over all it seems to be a good class.

Marketing was by far the most interesting class though. We were given an hour to choose a business idea, define a target market, and implement a marketing strategy for a Massage/Spa business. What stunned me though was one of the people in the class raised an objection that was like “I don’t want to do this one, it doesn’t interest me.” The marketing professor was pretty mad (and rightly so), he was like “as a marketing consultant you don’t just get to choose which business you want to market or not, your client wants to start a massage business, what are you going to say ‘o I don’t think that’s interest’. Do you have an idea that’s better?” They were like “Ya I do! Uhh uhh uhh, the environment!” I of course at this point was livid that this student was behaving like a prissy little baby and shot my hand up and said their idea didn't interest me.

Needless to say the person ended up doing the exercise just like everyone else. It just stunned me that someone that’s in an MBA class, and is supposedly in marketing would object to an exercise because “that doesn’t interest me.” I couldn’t help but ask the teacher mid-way through the exercise “I don’t like marketing, can we do something else?” He at least got it and thought it was pretty funny and said something along the lines of “Ya there’s always some asshole in every class.” I'm just happy that for once it wasn't me!!

Now don’t get me wrong I don’t think you should just go along and agree with the teacher. In fact just the opposite but objecting to pointless things for some trivial reason is just embarrassing and disgraceful. In the end though out of eight groups he said ours had one of the best answers so I was happy about that.

Let’s see…

O ya Sandra, Louis, Nathan and I went out for dinner, first going to the super market where I got some shampoo (but forgot the body wash) and mop to clean my room. After that we went to Pizza Hut, cause we were all craving some normal pizza. Lots of fun.

Mother sent me an e-mail, basically said: glad you finally shaved your face like I’ve been wanting you to do for years, relationship advice, and o ya your great grandmother is probably going to die soon so please send her a post card. :( Love you mom, just made me sad.  I'll try to find a way to mail something tomorrow since I have the day off.

All of the floors now are super slippery because of the fog hovering around our windows (they keep all the windows open all the time) so Nathan and I have had a lot of fun sliding around on the floors.

Anyways I’m off, probably going to try and go to bed a little early tonight.

Peace, Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment