Thursday, March 4, 2010

My Dogs Are Talking to Me – 2nd Day

This is being written at 2300 March 3, 2010.

If today was defined by anything it was defined by a huge amount of walking. From 1000 to 2100 I was on my feet and generally in the rain. My cheap umbrella that I bought yesterday quickly fell apart, but it was only $2.50 so I wasn’t very sad about it. Instead I then bought another umbrella that was a better quality for $3.05, so maybe it’ll last a little longer. ^_^

After getting to People’s Square (kind of like a popular downtown area of Shanghai) we went to a giant shopping mall to look for a hat (I seemed to have misplaced mine) but the only one we found that I wanted to buy was super small. We did get some bread which was really good. Anyways the goal of the day was to find my bank and get some more money. After about an hour or so of walking we finally found it… 5min from where we started. We then went to find Antoine’s airlines office so that he could change his flight info and that took us almost an hour or two as well, in the rain. On top of that we passed more than two of my banks along the way. We were then able to find a subway station like 7min from the office. O well, live and learn. Once we got back to campus we then walked another 30mins to Antoine’s bank.
After all that we parted ways to rest and I actually took an hour long nap! Then I met up with Antoine again as well as 3 German students and an American. We then headed out into the night to find some din-din.

“Aw that’s so cute, is that Chinese!?”

No, Chinese has no correlation with English, at all.

Anywho we found a decent noodle house, and come to find out Nathan, the American, is pretty good at Chinese (the first student I’ve found who is). Armed with his Chinese he quickly became the favorite of the staff, in his own words “it’s like I’m a talking dog.” It was pretty awesome. I also found out that we both have the same perverse humor which cracked Antoine up. I had been trying to explain to him what my friends and I find funny, but it’s not till you see us talk that you really get it. Nathan and I have decided we’re going to go get suites made which with his Chinese should make the experience much better. O yes the Germans were also quite nice (though they thought American beer was shit, which frankly… it is). And no the French and Germans didn’t hate each other if that what you were thinking, in fact they got along just peachy.

Once we got back to the dorms we met up with Ping Pong (Valentine), Cam, Sophie, and two others who for the life of me I can’t remember their names which makes me feel really bad cause I like them a lot and they’re wonderful to talk to but name just slip through my mind like an oiled fat kid on a slip and slide. So if you’re reading this please don’t hate me, I swear I’ll get photos of everyone and put their names with it and that’ll help me remember.

They we’re watching “The Devil Wears Prada” in French but we mostly just sat and talked the whole time. One girl (whose name I can’t remember and am still feeling bad about it because I even asked her again) was particularly refreshing to talk to because even though she’s Catholic she was very sensible about it, she considered it a private thing and believed that people that let it influence government policy were very scary (she was petrified by Jesus Camp, which made me super happy). Anyways I’ll come back and update this post later with her real name. I just wanted to say that she was a real delight to talk to and I hope we continue to talk and hang out.

Remember my internet has not come so I’ll be very sporadic with my posting, and hopefully it’ll get set up soon and I will be able to keep updated on my e-mails, Facebook, and blog. For right now I’m just writing these each week and posting them via Antoine’s computer (I showed him how to buy a VPN), and needless to say I don’t want to use up to much of his time so it won’t be very often. I’ll let yall know when I get the internet fully up and running.

The reason for the title was because I had taught Antoine the expression and he really liked it a lot. I’m not 100% sure that I got it right (ya ya I’m sure you’re surprised) by I figured it was close enough.

L8er

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kevin aka "megabite",,,my name is sandra ;) It's a real pleasure for me too speaking with you. I loved to hear from an american that Religion and Gouvernement and two very different institutions, that should never be brought together.

    Next step with you,, wanna hear ur feelings about Obama achievments (or non-achievements) loool... Big conversations coming :) :)

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sandra! It's really exciting to see that someone is reading my blog. I will be happy to give out my opinions on American politics (if there's one thing I'm not in short supply of and that's opinions) :P

    Give me a few days, once I have a moment to breath a little I'll type out a political post, or I'll at least try to wrap them into my blog posts. Problem is I haven't been able to read the news much, but as soon as I get internet in my room I'll be much more connected.

    I would love to hear your opinions as well and I'll try to reply to them ASAP.

    Thanks for reading,
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete