Friday, April 23, 2010

Might Be Getting Sick Again

2248 4-23-10

Sorry I got as far as putting the time stamp on this post and then I started reading Nietzsche's wiki page.  I've always really liked him.

Anyways so today was another day at work, I officially asked the CEO if I could be assigned additional assignments, if nothing else to merely break up the monotony of the current assignment.  I also feel like I've begun to wallow in this current assignment, just kind of rolling around in it day in and day out but not really producing anything worth mentioning.  Sure I'm making slow progress, but I send out like 10 e-mails and then I sit… not because I couldn't actually do more, in reality if I was honest with myself, I could move onto the other markets. 

A monkey could as well, to be frank I'm not challenged, and even though this is something I haven't done before I don't feel like I'm truly learning anything new at this point.  I miss Kim (my former boss) in many ways because even though we worked independently on many issues we were still a two man team and she was always showing me how to do things and why they were being done this way, which allowed for me a kind of frame work to discuss and challenge them.  But the market research I'm doing now has been challenged, we essentially agree on the course of action, and now it just has to be done… and I don't want to do it.  I want to move on to the next problem, come up with a solution, send it off, get the results back from the current problem, make the next move, get the results back from the other project, and move in a similar fashion.

Please don't start; yes I know everyone has to be in the trenches, yes I know its valuable experience doing different aspects.  I get it, if I didn't get it, I wouldn't even be working in the internship in the first place.  That doesn't mean I can complain about it on my own blog.  I think I would make a good apprentice but a terrible rank and file employee.

Other than that I went to class.  And that's pretty much it.  O I was talking to David today via e-mail and came up with another example of this whole "corporate video game" except I took into a slightly new direction.

Let's say for example you have a golfing simulator (free), one in which gamers could either pay a little bit of money for a set of golf clubs, or could in fact craft their golf clubs from scratch using your companies design software.  Your stock clubs that players could buy should be designed as non-optimal, in order to increase the advantage of those that choose to make their own. You could reasonably expect around 100,000 players to play your game on the low end.  Maybe 5% of those may actually be truly competitive.  That's about 5,000 players.  In game rewards could be given for winning golf tournaments, which would also increase the competitiveness of the game and the chances of people actually trying to design their own clubs.  Of those maybe only 30% of them would choose to try and craft their own golf clubs.  That's about 1,500 players designing golf clubs.  Players should be able to sell their designs to other players who might be willing to take them and modify and then resell.  This gives players a way of making in-game money, as well as providing a much large base of less ambitions designers ways of making improvements to other people's clubs or maybe only one club.

What do you have?  You have 1,500 players crafting unique clubs, and maybe around 70,000 players running simulations with them.  If you can craft a piece of software sophisticated enough to be able to understand the true differences in design and allow for realistic simulations this should give you around 100 possible designs that could work in real life.  Of those maybe about 5 sets would be truly great.  You could then turn around and give large prizes to the annual winners of your design contest, and use their designs as actual blue prints for your companies brand new set of clubs.

In theory, based on your software, you should be able to get closer and closer to an optimal club design, giving you a competitive advantage of your competitors.  As well as giving you a marketing avenue visa vi your game which is already targeted towards golfers.

Now this is just a rough idea, but hopefully you begin to see how video games can maybe utilized in a corporate world.  It would not be the suit and tie world of the current professional, it would be the world of the masses, where 13 year-old kids could just as easily give you your next multi-billion dollar product as your specialized engineering department.  People are dumb on average, but you place enough of them on any given task and someone that may be worthless at everything else can have a chance to produce something great.  The trick is being able to convince them to do it, and recognizing it when you see it.

O ya I'm starting to get a sore throat, hopefully it'll go away soon, but somehow I since impending sickness on the horizon, joy.

"Hear me! For I am such and such a person. Above all, do not mistake me for someone else."

No comments:

Post a Comment