Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Beautiful Day and a Night at the Shanghai World Trade Center

23:22 4-7-10

Wrapped up my presentation material today and sent it out to the management, and already got feedback from my boss who reformatted my spreadsheet to print better. :-/ I guess I have a hard time understanding why someone would want to print a spread sheet that’s not going to be set in stone. But who knows, just bummed that my boss had to fix such a silly error.

Started watching the Boondocks, really like the show, but it’s mostly just racial humor which reminds me a lot of high school, maybe I just have weird ways of reminiscing. For lunch we hung out at Mao, gorgeous day but still a bit to cold. Found out that the giant Mao actually has bees living in his head, which made me chuckle.

I also talked with Yiyi today, and she’s kind of going through a rough time. So here’s the story. She has this male friend, Mr. F, who has been dating this two timing tramp (sorry I just really wanted to phrase it that way, and it saved a lot of back story), who’s well call Ms. B. Now before it all hit the fan (which means before the situation got really bad) Mr. F had asked Yiyi to let Ms. B be one of her bridesmaid, and apparently once that invitation is offered it is set in stone. Well of course now Mr. F and Ms. B are on the outs (not in a good relationship, which is quickly turning into a terrible relationship) but Yiyi is stuck with Ms. B as a bridesmaid.

On top of all of this it is apparently a custom in China that if two people are living together and then split a mutual friend will come in and help them divvy things up. Yiyi happens to be the elected mutual friend even though Yiyi is actually not very fond of Ms. B at all. So after work that’s what she got to go do, which sucks a lot. I did offer to take Ms. B’s place as a bridesmaid, but Yiyi said that despite how funny that would be that it would simply be against custom and would not be possible. Always the guest, never the bridesmaid *sigh* one day I will have my turn. :P

After dinner though we went to this awesome lounge / club at the Shanghai World Financial Center, and we went on the perfect night too because there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. Did I mention this place was huge? We’re talking about the second tallest building in the world here. Did I also mention it was awesome? It is. There were comfy tables to sit at, music that you could hear, but wasn’t loud, a blue berry martini and a mojito that tasted excellent, one of the best views in Shanghai, a second floor that had live music, all for about 180RMB or $26. The drinks were kind of expensive but not on the extreme side, and about the same as other places here were expats frequent.

So I’m tired going to bed, hope everyone is doing well. Also I just got an offer from a contact of mine that offered to help me find a job which is pretty cool especially cause she reached out to me, which rarely ever happens.

Updated:
Sandra and I enjoying cocktails
 Just walkin down the street
 The World Financial Center (the blue one, looks like a bottle opener)

2 comments:

  1. Kevin, if you were a girl, you could be my bridesmaid. Alas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sexism is still alive and well in the world, what sad times we live in :(

    ReplyDelete