Monday, May 10, 2010

Tired and Yiyi's Curfew

2209 5-10-10

Well as you may have noticed I didn't get as much posted as I wanted too.  Come to find out it takes a long time to type of these posts because I'm trying to correct them at the same time as I'm transferring them to the computer.  I was often writing for only 30min intervals whenever I got a spare moment so my handwriting is awful and often time's things like names are left blank, and there are quite a few misspellings.  O well I'll continue to work on it and hopefully will be done by the end of the week.

The rest of the day was spent trying to clean the mass of laundry that I had acquired during my trip.  I had stored it all in my cabinet when I got back from the air port and when I opened it today I think something had died in there.  Took me three loads to fully clean it, and I washed my jeans twice.

I also shaved today.  After 9 days I was looking a little scruffy.  Yierm and Yiyi agreed it was a good move.

Speaking of Yiyi I met her for dinner today at Wulian Lu.  She just got back from Japan, the same day I got back from my trip so she was just as tired as I was.  We had a good dinner and swapped stories.  She seemed to really like Japan though she said it was really expensive.  She especially liked the fact that not many cars honked their, and that the city was much quieter.  We also talked a lot about her getting married and what that means to her.

Suddenly she indicated that it was time to go, which was weird was because we were fairly close to her house and it was only 8 o'clock which is two hours earlier then our normal departure time.  It was then that she explained that her new home was right next to her husband's parents and that she had to now be home earlier in order to make sure they didn't get a bad impression to her.  As someone that regards himself as fairly independent, and haven't even really had a curfew since I was like 15 this blew my mind.  She's 24 and she has to be home by 20:30 or her parents-in-law will wag their finger?  Obviously I understand the cultural difference here but that doesn't mean I have to like it.  Despite my pouting we parted ways so that she could go home like a good little girl. *grumble grumble*

But it's not like I'm bitter or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment